Museo Egizio - Who we are


The ‘Museo Egizio’ was formally founded in 1824 with the acquisition by King Carlo Felice of a collection of 5,268 objects gathered by Bernardino Drovetti.


The site of the museum is the 17th century palace, built as a Jesuit school by the architect Guarino Guarini that in the 18th century passed to the Academy of Sciences.


The Museum collections are owned by the Italian State, but the management has been privatised by means of a foundation, the Fondazione Museo delle Antichità Egizie di Torino, whose shareholders include the Region of Piedmont, the Province of Turin, the City of Turin, the San Paolo and the CRT banking Foundations. This privatisation of a State museum is a first for Italy.